Saturday, October 13, 2012

My Cycle is Finished... I Think

So I think I'm at the end of my cycle.  The ammonium never got higher than 0.5ppm and the nitrites and nitrates never spiked.  Aside from a bit of nitrate when I started I haven't seen anything move but the ammonia.  Everything is sitting at 0 so I might as well try to move on.

I got the diatom bloom.  Yay!  That's normal.  And then the green hair algae outbreak.  Am I going to do a full tank shot?  Not on your life.  It looks terrible.  Absolutely.  I'm trying to black it out for a couple of days and have turned off the light so we'll see how that goes.

I also picked up the start of a clean up crew today.  The turbo snail is a machine.  It's buzzing around the glass and where it's been i things are already looking better.  I've already decided to call it Speedy.  There's an astrea snail that hangs out with it that I'm tempted to call Lian.  These two snails are going to town on the glass.  Three more astrea are hanging out on the rocks.  They don't look like they've done much yet, but this is where the algae is worst.  My three hermit crabs are Red, White and Blue.  Red and Blue have been busy in the sand.  Red is fearless, it was trying to climb up the rocks.  White has been having trouble with the two margarita snails that were thrown in for free since the narcissus were all so small.  These two dicks of snails have latched onto a hermit crab and tried to use it to give them a ride.  They've both let go and moved off on their own but White is upside down.  I hope it's just tired out.  That leaves the three narcissus.  The two small ones have found the glass and are working away at the bottom.  The third (and biggest) is somewhere in the rocks.  I saw its proboscis for a while but it's gone missing.  It's either being productive or it's fallen prey to the possible mantis shrimp hitchhiker.

No comments:

Post a Comment